The authorities continue to look for the culprits for operating drones.
The largest airport in the united kingdom, London Gatwick Airport resumed its operations on Friday after drone incident. For one and a half day, one of the most important airports in Europe was paralyzed. The police are still looking for those responsible.
Two drones were seen flying over the site. The terminal, which is the eighth in Europe in terms of traffic, had been closed since Wednesday night. It was opened for a short time but close again at dawn when the presence of drones was again sighted. They were identified 50 times in 24 hours.
The director of airport operations, Chris Woodroofe, confirmed that 700 departures were planned on Friday. HE apologized to the nearly 120,000 passengers affected during this busy period of the year.
Even with the use of specialised equipment, the police and the Ministry of Defense had not yet been able to intercept the drones. However, the airport was able to reopen after taking “measures” in collaboration with the police, the army and the authorities. The transport minister Chris Grayling told the BBC that this type of incident is unprecedented.
A “lone wolf” defender of the environment could be behind this unprecedented attack, the Daily Telegraph newspaper quoted. ” One of the hypotheses at this stage could be that of environmental action,” said the source. British legislation stipulates that drones can not be used within one kilometr of an airport. And they must not exceed an altitude of 122 meters. Those responsible for these acts are exposed to a penalty of up to five years in prison and heavy fines
The authorities recommended travellers to check the status of their flights with their respective airlines. Some departures and arrivals to Gatwick could continue to suffer delays and cancellations. It is expected to be the busiest day of the Christmas holidays.